Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What About Ghosts?

What about ghosts? With the highly popular television series "Ghost Hunters" and copycat spin-off shows where "investigators" using hi-tech equipment stir up "shadow people," unexplained noises and voices, and all manners of apparitions, what is happening? Are these “spirits” dead people who have somehow lost their way in eternity? Could they be demons or fallen angels masquerading for deception purposes?

Some of the “investigators” use a crucifix for demon control and with a Bible and holy water in hand pray blessings upon haunted dwellings. Others wear the red woven string of Kabbalah. Often the crew leaders advise uneasy property owners to accept the entities sympathetically and share their space with them if they are non-violent. One “investigator” actually benevolently invited a “spirit” to come home with him to his own family! Incredible!

So what do you think? Even though this type of show is somewhat entertaining (and we can always pray for the deluded folk), should a Christian even watch it?

Ghosts

Would love to hear the response on this Ghost question. My wife watches those ghost shows and some of it looks really convincing.

Comment

Well, for a start I'll jump in and tell you what I think.

Surely those shows are indeed convincing. They blend so-called scientific technology with superstition in a spine-tingling, hour of mystery. Will there be an unexplained black form arise or strange noises or a ghostly electronic voice recorded in answer to the investigators' inquiries?

Remember when you were small and watched spooky movies on TV? Everything was fine because you kept the lights on in the room and mother and father were close by in the house...just in case. But what happened at bedtime? Did it bother you walking up the stairs alone? Did you beg for the comfort of a nightlight? Were forms of creepy faces and unusual animals appearing before your eyes in the pattern of the wallpaper? Did the movement of branches outside your window leave you uneasy? Were you affected?

Okay, children have great imaginations. Still--I believe even casual interest in the paranormal or occult results in the opening of a door of darkness to the darkness. What may come forth? We are warned--no--commanded---to leave it alone! Here are a few references in my NASB Bible:

"Do not turn to mediums or spiritists (or ghosts or spirits); do not seek them out to be defiled by them. I am the LORD your God." Leviticus 10:31

"As for the person who turns to mediums and to spiritists (or ghosts and spirits), to play the harlot after them, I will also set My face against that person and will cut him off from among his people." Leviticus 20:6

"There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, one who uses divination, one who practices witchcraft, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, or one who casts a spell, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. For whoever does these things is detestable to the LORD; and because of these detestable things the LORD your God will drive them out before you. You shall be blameless before the LORD your God." Deuteronomy 18:10-13

Read also the story of King Saul and the spirit medium in 1 Samuel 28.

In Revelation 21 it is written that "sorcerers will have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone, which is the second death." (KJV)

To sum it up in my opinion, although I am not a Biblical scholar or a minister, Christians should not be actively involved in occult entertainment, be that movies, television (including "Ghost Hunters"), or books (including "Harry Potter").

I have watched "Ghost Hunters" a few times, but I will not to continue to. It is promoting the darkness and encouraging the entities that move within that realm. Don't you agree with me that such entertainment should be renounced by Christians and a prayer should be spoken to God to repent of repeated interest in ghosts? There is so much glorious Light in Christ Jesus, why dwell in the darkness, eh? The only spirit we need is the Holy Spirit!

Comment

Watching Ghost Shows

I am slow to respond to this topic for a couple reason. Mainly because I rarely watch any television for obvious reasons, therefore my ability to comment would be more hearsay. Most clergy agree that television is a source of corruption for any Christian. Even the Christian channels are flooded with false teachers, con artist, opportunist and doctrinal heresy. If I watch anything, it is the History Channel or Animal Kingdom. I even find the Discovery Channel unacceptable due to the emphasis on Abiogenesis and worldy sciences.

Clearly, our nature is it be curious about the unknown. A study conducted about a decade ago concluded that females have a stronger persuasion to discover the mysteries of the mystical than males. The number of female Wicca and New Age proponents outnumber the males by 10 to 1 in many cases. I make this statement in observation to the problematic nature that such entertainment might have from gender to gender. As a logical male, I am not moved by it, nor motivated to summon spirits. If one has a persuasion to seek it out for unholy reasons, then this person is flirting with potential sin. I Corinthians 8:1 clarifies this in regard to meat offered to idols.

Frankly, I saw the initial airing of Ghost Hunters at a friend’s house, and wasn't at all amused. Not only did they glorify Reiki Masters and clairvoyants, but clearly exaggerating the events for the sake of entertainment value. It is reminiscent of Psychic John Edward of Crossing Over. who would offer cold readings like Sylvia Browne, to communicate with loved ones who have crossed over. Evidence revealed later, the show was based more on the Houdini Factor than a real spiritualists. However, multitudes tuned in each week to be mesmerized by the theatrics. Do not Christians run after the same thing when they attend spiritual meetings hosted by known spiritual charlatans?

This takes me to the second reason I was slow to respond. When I was 10 years old, I was frightened by the constant encounter of spirits. I was raised in a 120 year old farm house that had a history of Indian's, it was so old. There were at one time five log cabins that surrounded the farm, and the community had weathered much to survive. Many births and deaths had taken place in the home. When I was ordained in 1988, the Holy Spirit took the spiritual aperture and opened it even further. For the sake of a deliverance ministry, I was confronted by a line of people from various churches at the age of 28. I maintained a hand drawn journal depicting many of the spirits encountered, in abodes and in people. I detracted from the gift around 1992, due to the strain it was causing, and for some 10 years refused to use it. Recently, I have again engaged at a level, but still restrain the gifting. People are healed, spirits leave immediately. Cmnahrwold in the post above can testify to this.

After saying all this, you might understand I find subject to be a sensitive one. Do I think the ghost shows are legitimate? Maybe some of the time, but it is more about entertainment appeal. I can assure you the real experience is not about pleasure or entertainment. Do I think Christians should watch these ghost shows? No, I don't think Christian's should watch much television in general, therefore I cannot say they should watch shows about disembodied spirits. As the Apostle Paul wrote in his letter to the Romans, that each person should firmly determine in their hearts what is true about undefined matters, for a person who has doubts is condemned if he partakes, because his partaking is not from faith; and everything that does not come from faith is sin. Romans 14:23

In conclusion, I realize this is probably the least edifying of all my forum responses But in keeping with a promise to respond, I have God bless.

Comment

"Do not turn to mediums or spiritists (or ghosts or spirits); do not seek them out to be defiled by them. I am the LORD your God." Leviticus 10:31

"As for the person who turns to mediums and to spiritists (or ghosts and spirits), to play the harlot after them, I will also set My face against that person and will cut him off from among his people." Leviticus 20:6

I think the add on "(ghosts or spirits)" is highly out of context. What does it mean to "turn to mediums or spiritist"? I think it means to turn your life to or to seek advise from. There is a clear difference between doing this and watching a show. There are parts of Ghost hunters and other strange paranormal shows that bring in people who "raise up the dead to speak" like a necroscope. I am not comfortable with this and demand my wife to turn it off.

I'm not a fan of these shows, because they get old after a while anyway, but I do not see the spiritual harm on watching them for entertainment value that offers some stress redution for the mind, but at the same time does not consume the person "Everything is permissble for me, but everthing is not beneficial. Everything is pemissible for me, but nothing shall be my master" 1 Corinthians 6:12.

I personally rate it in the same league as scary movies, video games in which violence is demonstrated, and even some books that provide escapism through a dramatic story line.

My true reason of asking about this, is where it all fits on a spiritual level. What are these so called ghosts or spirits that you have experienced in your home in which you grew up in? Are they in Heaven, hell, in limbo, percatory (spelling?) as the catholics call it?

I certainly can attest that I have experienced some amazing things since becoming the moderator's friend over the past three years in the glory of God.

Comment

I can't say where they were or what they were Chris. They certainly were not in hell, heaven or purgatory. Limbo... maybe. Trapped souls between dimensions? Earthbound entities? They seemed to be disembodied apparitions that wandered about and seemed lost or disenchanted. My mother visited with me two weeks after her departure, and I was very uneasy sensing the watching presence of her eyes. My father passed over immediately, no lingering. So many people experience this from passing relatives. Reason I don't discuss the matter of spirits, too many possibilities and essentially no answers. My fundamental thought is, what edification is there in this for the Christian walk?

I like "percatory", great word. I picture souls in a type of coffee percolator

Comment

Originally posted by cmnahrwold View Post

I think the add on "(ghosts or spirits)" is highly out of context.
              --------------------------------------

The "add-on" of (or ghosts or spirits) was not my own. If it is highly out of context you'll have to fault the New American Standard Bible Reference Edition (The Lockman Foundation) side column reference section to those scriptures. Sorry if you found it offensive.

Comment

Take backs?

Originally posted by Ressmont View Post
                --------------------------------------

The "add-on" of (or ghosts or spirits) was not my own. If it is highly out of context you'll have to fault the New American Standard Bible Reference Edition (The Lockman Foundation) side column reference section to those scriptures. Sorry if you found it offensive.

Sorry about that Ressmont. Did not know that you were getting that from a reputable translation. Perhaps my family and I should avoid such shows.

Comment

That's understandable cmnahrwold. I should have stated clearly that the parenthetical phrases were from the side-column reference of the NASB, instead it could be perceived that I was adding to Holy Scripture.

Comment

well after some research I found following to be a more biblical answer regarding this topic:

Is there such a thing as ghosts? The answer to this question depends on what precisely is meant by the term “ghosts.” If the term means “spirit beings,” the answer is a qualified “yes.” If the term means “spirits of people who have died,” the answer is “no.” The Bible makes it abundantly clear that there are spirit beings, both good and evil. But the Bible negates the idea that the spirits of deceased human beings can remain on earth and “haunt” the living.

Hebrews 9:27 declares, “Man is destined to die once, and after that to face judgment.” That is what happens to a person’s soul-spirit after death—judgment. The result of this judgment is heaven for the believer (2 Corinthians 5:6-8; Philippians 1:23) and hell for the unbeliever (Matthew 25:46; Luke 16:22-24). There is no in-between. There is no possibility of remaining on earth in spirit form as a “ghost.” If there are such things as ghosts, according to the Bible, they absolutely cannot be the disembodied spirits of deceased human beings.

The Bible teaches very clearly that there are indeed spirit beings who can connect with and appear in our physical world. The Bible identifies these beings as angels and demons. Angels are spirit beings who are faithful in serving God. Angels are righteous, good, and holy. Demons are fallen angels, angels who rebelled against God. Demons are evil, deceptive, and destructive. According to 2 Corinthians 11:14-15, demons masquerade as “angels of light” and as “servants of righteousness.” Appearing as a “ghost” and impersonating a deceased human being definitely seem to be within the power and abilities that demons possess.

The closest biblical example of a “haunting” is found in Mark 5:1-20. A legion of demons possessed a man and used the man to haunt a graveyard. There were no ghosts involved. It was a case of a normal person being controlled by demons to terrorize the people of that area. Demons only seek to “kill, steal, and destroy” (John 10:10). They will do anything within their power to deceive people, to lead people away from God. This is very likely the explanation of “ghostly” activity today. Whether it is called a ghost, a ghoul, or a poltergeist, if there is genuine evil spiritual activity occurring, it is the work of demons.

What about instances in which “ghosts” act in “positive” ways? What about psychics who claim to summon the deceased and gain true and useful information from them? Again, it is crucial to remember that the goal of demons is to deceive. If the result is that people trust in a psychic instead of God, a demon will be more than willing to reveal true information. Even good and true information, if from a source with evil motives, can be used to mislead, corrupt, and destroy.

Interest in the paranormal is becoming increasingly common. There are individuals and businesses that claim to be “ghost-hunters,” who for a price will rid your home of ghosts. Psychics, séances, tarot cards, and mediums are increasingly considered normal. Human beings are innately aware of the spiritual world. Sadly, instead of seeking the truth about the spirit world by communing with God and studying His Word, many people allow themselves to be led astray by the spirit world. The demons surely laugh at the spiritual mass-deception that exists in the world today.

Comment

I wouldn’t necessarily classify the pasted commentary as more biblical in the sense of reality. This writer is discounting all potential spiritual encounters as demonic? A person has to be careful when drinking in all that is promoted on the internet. Equally so, one has to be discerning in the Spirit from what is taught from within the church. Many Christians box themselves into a traditional mindset of doctrines taught by men, but it doesn't weigh in the balances against reality. As a writer, long ago I was warned never to use absolutes and certainties in matters foreign to me, for as soon as I did, I would find myself in error. I would say the above author doesn’t have this understanding, for their position is doctrinally exposited with absolutes, in an area where they would have no earthly idea what they are talking about.

It is easy to proof doctrine any position, given enough time and study, but that doesn't necessarily mean it is true. I have heard homosexual give profound justification for their sin. I recently listened to a highly revered seminary professor dogmatically claim the cessation of the spiritual gifts of manifestation. A trained Jehovah Witness can easily proof text a weak Christian into submission. I don't agree with all of the above pasted content because I like many others have experienced personal encounters that are not psychotic episodes, delusions of grandeur or ravenous demons. Equally, the scriptures pasted in as proof doctrines do not properly support their argument either.

This position is a teaching from the evangelical far right, parroted by those whose theology is based on conformity rather than reality. The traditions of the church can be likened to a wooden plank placed over living plants. In a week, you will return to find the plants that once reached for the Sun, now are pushed into the dirt. The once vibrant colors of green are slowly becoming pale with the color of death. In a month, you will find the plant life is fully expired, replaced by insects who thrive in darkness. This is the nature of any institution that is suppressed by the traditions of men. Like many of the denominations, they started in the power of the Holy Spirit, but after the corruption of those who perceive truth by the intellect (flesh), are now merely hollow echoes of its former self.

Although I cannot deny some of what is said, the one sentence I can certainly agree with is “Sadly, instead of seeking the truth about the spirit world by communing with God and studying His Word, many people allow themselves to be led astray by the spirit world.” Any Christian’s obsession with spiritual entertainment, UFO’s and ET’s are completely on a tangent, far from what Christ would persuade. Should not we rather invest our inquisitive nature to a deeper abiding with the Master? Should not our hunger be centered on the edification of others in the Power of the Holy Spirit? God have mercy on your sheep. Turn us back to you by means of your Holy Spirit. Convict us of our wanderings, move us rather into dedicated intimacy with only you. For the things of this earth will pass away, but he who seeks the Lord shall abide forever.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 782 users online. 0 members and 782 guests.

Most users ever online was 6,289 at 09:07 PM on 12-25-2023.

Discerning the Truth Forum Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 298   Posts: 985   Members: 221   Active Members: 0
                      Welcome to our newest member, Markus Wagner.
                      Working...
                      X