Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attending Party of New Agers

I have a question for the readers on here...

I am going to an evening gathering tomorrow night hosted by my childhood friend at his place of residence... basically a typical get-together with food and drink, etc. It will be filled almost entirely of New Agers (best description). I am almost sure I will be the only Bible Christian there, although there may be claiments who also will call themselves Christians too. I have been invited because the host and I are long-time friends (and I continue to pray for his salvation). He is what he calls himself a "mind, spirit, body" person (I call him a New Ager) who is involved with many subjects like, Deepak Chopra, David Icke, Greg Braden, Lenon Honer, Drunvalo Melchizedek, Secret Governments, Illuminati, 2012 Shift, Mayan Calendar, Aliens and Conspiracies, Hollow Earth... I mean the whole enchilada!

In my past I was once a New Ager but now I understand how important it is to represent Christ in word and deed (to Glorify His Name) and I do not want to run in fear and avoid a place like this even though I will be the alien (Deuteronomy 10:19). I am not sure if I will be challenged by anyone with debate because it is simply a get-together. However, I understand when to continue a discussion and when to end one when it comes to knowing the heart of the one in conversation. So my question to you is, although I am always ready to preach the Gospel (water the seed) to anyone that the LORD would send my way, do you have any advise on how I should plan for the evening? It will be the first time I will be alone in an environment of Spiritualists (reminds my of Paul in Rome).

Blessings,
    HarveyW

Do Not Be Unequally Yoked

My overall response here is not exactly responding to your question in context, but it is what the Spirit laid on my heart to write. Please bear with me and my dauntingly long thesis, whereas I think you will find sufficient answers sprinkled thoughout.

One of the common questions I am often asked is how do conduct ourselves with those outside the faith? When we come unto Christ, we are taught that if we want to retain the fullness of the Spirit and to walk under His anointing, we must keep our hands clean. 2 Corinthians 6:14 says,
    14 Do not be unequally yoked together with unbelievers. For what fellowship has righteousness with lawlessness? And what communion has light with darkness?
    15 And what accord has Christ with Belial? Or what part has a believer with an unbeliever?
    16 And what agreement has the temple of God with idols? For you are the temple of the living God. As God has said: "I will dwell in them And walk among them. I will be their God, And they shall be My people.
    17 Therefore "Come out from among them And be separate, says the Lord. Do not touch what is unclean, And I will receive you."
    18 "I will be a Father to you, And you shall be My sons and daughters, Says the Lord Almighty.
    The doctrine of separation is one of the more important teachings in the Bible, in relation to being holy as He is holy. Christian separation means that you come out of the world and trust Christ. Separation is well described in the nineteenth chapter of Genesis. God told Lot to separate himself from the people in the ungodly city. God said, "Up, get you out of this place: for the Lord will destroy this city" (Genesis 19:14). Lot reluctantly obeyed God, and left Sodom. But Lot's wife did not want to separate herself from her lost friends. As Lot was leaving, his wife turned around to go back with her ungodly friends. And the Bible says, "His wife looked back from behind him, and she became a pillar of salt" (Genesis 19:26). The fire and brimstone that came down on the city smote her. She was destroyed with the brimstone and her body was encased in a molten pillar. In reflection, Jesus said, "Remember Lot's wife" (Luke 17:32).

Looking again at 2 Corinthians 6:14, "Be not unequally yoked together with unbelievers." Matthew Poole from "A Commentary on the Whole Bible" volume 3, page 618 says, "Do not become such as in the same yoke draw another way. It is a metaphor drawn from horses or oxen; which should draw together, being in the same yoke." This phrase is rooted in the commandment in Deuteronomy 22:10, "Thou shalt not plow with an ox and an mule together" (Deuteronomy 22:10). Two creatures with different natures cannot pull the same load properly through life, the Christian and the unbeliever are such.

Dr. John R. Rice, from his book "The Unequal Yoke" pages 4-5, stated this comment, "One of the plainest doctrines of the Bible is the doctrine of Christian separation. It was the one teaching that God pressed daily, repeatedly, eternally, upon Jews… When the Israelite farmer hitched up his team, he said in his heart, "God commands me not to plow with a mixed team. I may plow with two oxen or two donkeys; but I cannot mix them, because God wants me to remember that I am not to mix with those who are not God's people."

From James 4:4, we read, "Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God" (James 4:4). That is a very clear statement, isn't it? "Whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God." Loving it, entertaining it, embracing it, enjoying its pleasures over the sanctification of the soul. These concepts are alien to the nature man, for such are spiritually discerned.

Albert Barnes provides these remarks, based on our passage in 2 Corinthians 6, "They who are about to make a profession of Christianity should resolve to separate themselves from the world, verses 14, 15. Christianity cannot exist where there is no such separation, and they who are unwilling to forsake unbelieving companions and the [worthless, foolish] amusements and vanities of life, and to find their chosen friends and pleasures among the people of God, can have no evidence that they are Christians… there must be an effectual line drawn between the friends of God and the friends of sin… While we do not refuse to mingle with them as neighbors and citizens as far as we can without compromising Christian principles, still our chosen friends and our dearest friendships should be with the people of God. For, his friends should be our friends; and our happiness should be with them, and the world should see that we prefer the friends of the Redeemer [Christ] to the friends of gayety, ambition, and sin." (Albert Barnes, Notes on the New Testament, II Corinthians, Baker Book House, 1985 reprint, page 162).

How can we be witnesses and show people our changed lives, if we are supposed to shun them? As Christians, our daily walk, words, actions and speech should display the love and grace of Christ, where they see His beauty in our lives so that they want to know Him too. Not only this, but the walk of holiness should be evident to all. "But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect." ( 1 Pet.3:15 NIV) and "...the outward evidence to all men is a life of righteousness and true holiness." (Hebrews 12:14). This is our conduct and attitude among those of the world.

In our private relationships we need to spend more time with believers then we do unbelievers. This does not mean that we should abstain from positive relationships outside the faith, but they must not become your primary relationships. If you spend more time with unbelievers then you do with believers, then you are unequally yoked and are risking compromise of your profession among other precious spiritual attributes. "You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled by men." Matthew 5:13 You risk becoming like them - returning to the snare of doubt and sin by association. Or abiding in their practices and having our hearts seared by their unholy way of thinking. This is truth, a faith crisis always follows compromise.

Christians are called out of the world unto Christ. The soul who refuses to stop looking to the friendship and comfort of the world will not look to Christ. You cannot look in two directions at once! "A double minded man is unstable in all his ways" (James 1:8). A "double minded" person will not look savingly to Christ but will crave the ways of the sin nature. Jesus replied, "No one who puts his hand to the plow and looks back is fit for service in the kingdom of God." Luke 9:62 This is similar to Lots wife, for one to be starting on the way, and then looking back in passion to the sins left behind. This heart is in no wise within the way of the Savior, but whose heart still yearns in darkness.

As a genuine Christian grows, there will be this sanctification process, a progressive move of God in our lives. One critical point of this process is we will no longer desire fellowship with unbelievers. Not because we see ourselves as holier than they are, but because our transformed hearts will naturally desire to be with those who too have the regenerating work present. If we use to go to bars on Friday nights, this practice should have lost its appeal IF we are abiding in Christ. If we still covet sinful environments and activities, then we do well to examine ourselves and ask why we are compromising and potentially the deeper question, are we even in the faith?

The Apocalypse of John specifically warned the Thyatirans to not go along with pagans, affiliate with their idolatry, be involved with the foods sacrificed to them, nor engage in spiritual adultery (Revelation 2:18-20). Those who are not particularly faithful in their walk allow themselves to attend functions, clubs, organizations and churches that compromise the truth. The ongoing fellowship with unbelievers, and being surrounded by the propagation of non-biblical pagan beliefs is an indication of a spiritual compromise.

I am a Sons of the American Legion member because of my father, but I cannot in sound mind engage with their Post practices. They drink themselves into a stupor and talk about matters of vanity. Yes, they support good causes, and do great things, but so did some of the most ruthless dictators. Good works and philanthropy does not justify a corrupt nature. God is a soul man, He strives to make the soul right through regeneration, everything else is secondary... always.

Grace and Peace be with you.

Comment

Thank you Pastor Ray for your time invested in answering.

I do understand the position/stand between believers and non-believers, including non-believing friends. There is no other interest for me to go to this gathering except to be a respectable Christian friend. That does not mean that I will engage in or embrace any of their new age rituals or practices. I despise everything to do with this New Age Movement. However, I do have the opportunity to show everyone at this party that as a Christian I will not be moved from my faith by the display of the power of the Holy Spirit in me as I mingle before them.

I want to go to this gathering solely on the premise of displaying my faith among them. I am proud of my faith in Jesus Christ, my LORD and Savior. And I want to show my friend how faithful I am to Him among the many New Age temptations that will have all of them under its spell.

I used to be a New Ager and then gave my heart to Christ. I remain in touch with my friend Ron so that he too may someday come to know Christ. This is the only reason why I will go. I think I also answered my own question on how I should handle the night among all these New Ages... debate with them is certainly not a good idea. One thing is for sure... I will be representing Christ Jesus tomorrow night. When they all see me, they will see Jesus Christ. I must be sure to honor Him and Glorify Him. I can't know for sure what will happen... it's possible that seeds may end up being planted... and seeds could end up being watered. I pray that God the Father may be so kind. We must persevere! Pray for me.

In Jesus' powerful name,
      Harvey

Comment

Paragraph that Addresses Question

Thanks Harvey.

I want to mention, just in case I came across wrong. As mentioned in the preamble of the response, the overarching content would not aptly address your questions as a whole, but would lean toward it throughout. The one point I made that I wanted you to find was:

"As Christians, our daily walk, words, actions and speech should display the love and grace of Christ, where they see His beauty in our lives so that they want to know Him too. Not only this, but the walk of holiness should be evident to all. "But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect." ( 1 Pet.3:15 NIV) and "...the outward evidence to all men is a life of righteousness and true holiness." (Hebrews 12:14). This is our conduct and attitude among those of the world."

I believe this at least partially addressed your question about how to mingle with the New Age adherents. The balance of the commentary was a subject I had wanted to address for some time, although not well suited in reference to your question, I do apologize.

May seeds indeed be planted to the Glory of God!

Comment

Pastor Ray,

I understand your method behind posting your response in the manner that you did. I am glad that you found more that one reason to post it (as why I gave you permission to use it in whatever manner you saw fit). You and your site mean alot to me and I refer to it often.

I only wanted to make sure that I was not misunderstood by others who might post a reply to my question.... just so they know that in no way was I going to this party to happily, meritoriously engage in sinful, rebellious practice. I know that you knew I wasn't... I just wasn't sure if others who were going to read it would know.

Blessings to you!

Have a great weekend, Pastor.

Harvey

Comment

I'm so glad you brought this up

There must be a reason you posted this Harvey.

I too came from being involved in the new age. Just today the Lord layed it in my heart to see how a former new age friend was doing. I think I burned bridges with her after I got saved because my turn around was so drastic that when she emailed me after I told her I found Jesus and the Holy Spirit (and she replied the Holy Spirit was me and that she had worked with Jesus before) I wrote her back almost yelling at the demons to go in Jesus name and I think it freaked her out.

I did not know how to handle that situation in love and was not wise enough at the point to hear the Holy Spirits voice. So I broke ties with her. But I found her on youtube and she is still channeling angels and wrote a couple books and teaches etc. I want to write her but am not sure if it is wise at this point. I am going to pray and put her on prayer lists for now as I feel the Lord wants me to do. That verse about "not throwing pearls to the swine" came up when I tried talking to her about what God did for me (her, us).

My advice (and don't listen to me, listen only to God) is call some prayer lines. There are some really good prayer warriors on call that you can pray with before you go to the party. The 700 club has a 24-hour Prayer line 1-800-759-0700 . They usually have good prayer warriors to come in agreement with you when you are not with other believers. When 2 or more come in my name He is right there with us! What is the name of your friend ? I will pray for him. Anything is possible with God. If he took you from darkness to light (the real light) then he can do that for your friend.

If you get a chance or anyone else who has a few minutes, please leave a comment for Carol on youtube or her website. She is now communicating with the pleadians (aliens) who are supposedly here to raise the vibration for the coming alignment of the energy waves. On one hand this stuff is humorous but yet sad at the same time. The experiences they have are very real. Those fallen angels are tricky fellers. They sure buffaloed me! Her name is Carol Guy if you type it in at youtube. And her website is carolguy.com

Bless you brother!!! Sorry for the humor and not answering your question. Thanks Pastor Ray for your response.

Remember, the Lord your God is with you wherever you go. He will give you the words to speak. Also remember, a lot of these people believe the lies they were told about the bible and Jesus. That's why its good to be equipped with answers. Also check out Ron Rhodes website reasoning from the Scriptures. He brought up a lot of good answers to tough Bible questions on the Christ in Prophecy show... you can view at Lamb & Lion Ministries: Home - Bible Prophecy Ministry Proclaiming the Soon Return of Jesus Christ

Rene

God bless!!!

Comment

Hey Rene,

Thank you for responding. I, too, freaked some people out in the past. But, we realize that it wasn't respectful, caring, and loving and we grow from it. The one thing we can find comfort in it is that the LORD knew beforehand what we were going to say and do. It doesn't make it alright, but it is reassuring that the LORD wasn't taken by surprise by our sudden reaction to those unbelievers, LOL!

Thank you for your kind advice. I am learning to rely on prayer more and more (something I struggle with on my Christian walk). I definitely will pray before I enter into the house (maybe even do it as I drive there, LOL). I have been getting prayer help from my church as well.

My friend's name is Ron. I don't give up hope for him. (What is impossible with men, is possible with God - Luke 18:27).

Praise God, that He lifted you and I up and out of that deceptive and destructive belief system. I feel sad for those who are not prepared to discern the truth from lie and eventually fall for this system.

PS: I am fully aware of the notion about the Pleadians, the Greys, light beings, ascended masters, etc. My friend, Ron never fails to send me information about such things (well, he has me included in his e-mail newsgroup). All I can do is slowly shake my head ... and silently sigh.

Okay, it is late here (yawn). I will check this forum tomorrow sometime for any further responses.

May the LORD watch and protect you this night.

Blessings,
              Harvey

Comment

Fellowship with Unbelievers - The Challenge

I would pray and seek the Lord and ask if He wants you to go to this gathering.
                The Lord in the past has warned me away from some christians and unbelievers.
                The Lord even forbid me to attend a certain christian meeting in my previous church.
                The reason was that He was protecting me from harm.
                You mean well for these people but only God knows if they mean well for you.
                I have walked into traps in the past with the best of intentions.
                So inquire of the Lord.

Please let us know how it went.
                God bless

Comment

New age party

Dear brother Harvey,

I have had to give this lot of thought and prayer. Yes, greater is He that is in you than he that is in the world, this I believe.

Several questions come to mind. How long have you been in Christ, how much discipleship have you had, prayer groups, ministry to others, one to one and in a group, accountability to one or others? So sorry for the interrogation, l feel protective of you. Also, have you been infilled with the Holy Spirit or some say baptized in the Holy Spirit?

I have been a Christian since I was 11 yrs old, but really walking with him since I was 26. I am now 68 yrs. Twenty six years ago, I encountered the Holy Spirit and was filled with power and anointing for ministry. I have taken part in many I guess you would call it deliverance service for those locked in the grip of the enemy of our souls and I am here to tell you that Lucifer is very powerful and will try and do anything to hinder the work of God. God always is triumphant but not without much discernment, determination and dedication. Remember you will be surrounded by his agents... so call upon the true warriors for prayer and the angels of God to be with you! You are the only one that can determine if you are ready for this type of outreach ministry. God will be with you and we will lift you up as prompted by the Holy Spirit.

God bless......Judy P.S. of course do all in the love of Christ!!

Comment

Although the gathering by now has already taken place, I wish to comment, from personal experience (and to anyone who might be interested), regarding witnessing to persons entangled in cults. I agree with the watchfulness of Watchman in his post above. The New Age is composed of a myriad of sects and groups embracing deeply dangerous practices. While some claim to be Christian, the roots of their occultic teachings are hostile to God's Word, the Bible.

As desirous as we are to share our faith and the truth of the saving power of Jesus Christ to those who have been drawn into the New Age, so must we be absolutely sure of God's will in our witness. Some in the New Age are overtly Satanic, and even fiercely proud to be so, and accomplished in debate. Powerful spiritual warfare is involved, not to be taken lightly. A simple dialogue between two persons can in reality be a battleground with eternal consequences. Much to be gained or much to be lost.

My point is that it is crucial in any witness to take caution that we are not, in our eagerness, stepping ahead of the Holy Spirit and opening ourselves up to taking a beating. There may indeed be a wonderful opportunity to scatter seed, in which case God will give us initiative; but God may also halt our action, should it not be His will. Prayer, wisdom, good common sense, plus sensitivity to the guidance of the Holy Spirit is of the greatest importance lest we be left licking our wounds.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7661 users online. 0 members and 7661 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,272 at 07:19 AM on 03-28-2024.

Discerning the Truth Forum Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 298   Posts: 985   Members: 221   Active Members: 0
                    Welcome to our newest member, Markus Wagner.
                    Working...
                    X