Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• God Favoritism

I've been thinking about this for a while. Does God show favoritism? How come he chose the Jews a his people? As a gentile I sometimes feel like an outcast or not wanted by God. Also what about the parable below....so if those who were invited (Jews) all went to go to the wedding feast, does not mean all others (everyone else) are not invited? Does this mean God only invited everyone else because the Jews didn't go? or maybe I misunderstood the parable?

Matt 22:2-14 "The Kingdom of Heaven is like a certain king, who made a marriage feast for his son, and sent out his servants to call those who were invited to the marriage feast, but they would not come. Again he sen t out other servants, saying, 'Tell those who are invited, "Behold, I have made ready my dinner. My oxen and my fatlings are killed, and all t hings are ready. Come to the marriage feast!"' But they made light of it, and went their ways, one to his own farm, another to his merchandise, and the rest grabbed his servants, and treated them shamefully, and killed them. When the king heard that, he was angry, and he sent his armies, destroyed those murderers, and burned their city. "Then he said to his servants, 'The wedding is ready, but those who were invited weren't worthy. Go therefore to the intersections of the highways, and as many as you may find, invite to the marriage feast.' Those servants went out into the highways, and gathered together as many as they found, both bad and good. The wedding was filled with guests. But when the king came in to see the guests, he saw there a man who didn't have on wedding clothing, and he said to him, 'Friend, how did you come in here not wearing wedding clothing?' He was speechless. Then the king said to the servants, 'Bind him hand and foot

There is a teaching that implies that the Jews are not God's chosen people any longer.It is called Replacement Theology and it is a teaching rampant in the Emergent or Reformed Church. This position basically teaches that the church has completely replaced Israel in God's plan. Adherents of Replacement Theology believe that the Jews are no longer God's chosen people and God does not have specific future plans for the nation of Israel. There are really only two views, either the modern Church is a continuation and replacement of Israel (Replacement Theology), or the Church is totally different and distinct from Israel (Dispensationalism / Premillennialism).

Scriptures tells us that the Nation of Israel (secular) has a special place in the plan and heart of God. God will restore the household of David, and remember His promise to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. Romans 9, 10, and 11 along with the Genesis account of God's covenant with Abraham backs up Dispensationalism and rejects Replacement Theology.

In Romans 11:1, Paul poses the question of Israel's future and answers it definitively: "I ask then: 'Did God reject his people?' By no means!" The rest of the chapter makes it clear that Israel has been "hardened" or temporarily set aside "in part until the full number of the Gentiles has come in" (Romans 11:25). Israel did not become the Church; rather, the Church was "grafted in" (v. 17) to the root of God's family, creating one body out of the two, while they remain separate in origin, although united in the faith. If the Church was to replace Israel, the imagery would be as a tree (Israel) uprooted and replaced by another (the Church). But the imagery of a branch grafted into a tree is perfectly clear. This is the "mystery" Paul speaks of in verse 25. A mystery in the New Testament refers to something previously not revealed, and the idea of another group of people becoming part of the chosen people of God was unheard of to the Jews at that time. This "grafting in" means we Gentiles in Christ now SHARE the promise as chosen equal to Israel. Even through a foreign linage, but now considered equal.

Will God cast away the heirs of promise, Israel? No, because he made a covenant with Abraham. Even though those under the law reject Jesus Christ as the Messiah, there will come a time they will be enlightened. This oath was not based on spiritual position, it was based on a promise to preserve the seed line. Verse 25 and following says, "God will save his people." At some future point, "the deliverer will come from Zion; he will turn godlessness away from Jacob."

Comment

Quoting: "Israel did not become the Church; rather, the Church was "grafted in" (v.17) to the root of God's family, creating one body out of the two, While they remain separate in origin, although united in the faith."

I like this statement. To me it is a little confusing. So you are saying that the nation of Israel is still God's people, but we Gentiles are now a part of that nation, because of Jesus Christ? What about the Jewish people who do not believe in Jesus Christ. Are they part of the "nation"? And you are saying that Jewish people will eventually become enlightened with the truth? Cool stuff, thanks for the enlightment!

Comment

Yes, the nation of Israel is God's SELECT people, by promise, from the seed of Abraham, and through Isaac and Jacob. The Gentiles who come through Christ to the Father are not made part of the nation of Israel physically, but rather the Gentiles are brought into the covenant of promise spiritually, to be His select people. Therefore the descendants of Abraham have first rights by blood line like a natural born child, but the Gentiles are brought into the family as an adopted child outside the bloodline, and share equally in the inheritance.

Instead of a birth certificate or legal document, we Gentiles are bound or "grafted in" by the blood of Christ. This is one the mysteries Paul reveals in the book of Romans. Those Jews who harden their heart against the purpose of God through Christ are still recipients of the promise, but if they die without receiving Christ, they too share the fate of a unregenerate soul.

It all may sound harsh, but it is what was provided for humanity. God's ways are absolutely not our ways, and His methods are often nonsense to us. Yes, at least this is what Paul taught, that only a little while and those of the nation of Israel shall perceive after the gathering of Gentiles is complete (Romans 11:25).

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5528 users online. 0 members and 5528 guests.

Most users ever online was 6,289 at 09:07 PM on 12-25-2023.

Discerning the Truth Forum Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 298   Posts: 985   Members: 221   Active Members: 0
        Welcome to our newest member, Markus Wagner.
        Working...
        X