What day is the Sabbath, Saturday or Sunday?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What day is the Sabbath, Saturday or Sunday?

The first reference to the Sabbath is found in Genesis 2:3: "Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because in it He rested from all His work which God had created and made." The root meaning of the words "Sabbath" and "rest," as referred to in Genesis, is "to cease." After having spent six days in His creative work, God ceased from His labors. The words "evening" and "morning," however, are missing in the description of this Sabbath day. This would indicate that the first Sabbath was a continuous rest, or a continuous ceasing from labor, until the time when man fell into sin. Then God once again began His labors in creating new creatures in Christ Jesus. It cannot be overemphasized, however, that this was God's rest.

After this first mention of the Sabbath, there is silence for 2500 years; not a word is given concerning it. God instituted the covenant of the Law 430 years after He had made the covenant of grace with Abraham. The first mention of the Sabbath since the time when God ceased from His labors on the seventh day is found in Exodus 16:23: "Then he said to them, 'This is what the LORD has said: 'Tomorrow is a Sabbath rest, a holy Sabbath to the LORD. Bake what you will bake today, and boil what you will boil; and lay up for yourselves all that remains, to be kept until morning.''"

Reference is also made to this in Nehemiah: "You came down also on Mount Sinai, and spoke with them from heaven, and gave them just ordinances and true laws, good statutes and commandments. You made known to them Your holy Sabbath, and commanded them precepts, statutes and laws, by the hand of Moses Your servant" (9:13-14).

In Exodus 20:8-11 the Sabbath law is made a part of the Ten Commandments: "Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the LORD your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your manservant, nor your maidservant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates. For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it."

Why did God not mention the Sabbath for 2500 years?

The answer is evident when the purpose for which the Sabbath was given is realized. Exodus 31:13-17 must be carefully considered: "Speak also to the children of Israel, saying: 'Surely My Sabbaths you shall keep, for it is a sign between Me and you throughout your generations, that you may know that I am the LORD who sanctifies you. You shall keep the Sabbath, therefore, for it is holy to you. Everyone who profanes it shall surely be put to death; for whoever does any work on it, that person shall be cut off from among his people. Work shall be done for six days, but the seventh is the Sabbath of rest, holy to the LORD. Whoever does any work on the Sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death. Therefore the children of Israel shall keep the Sabbath, to observe the Sabbath throughout their generations as a perpetual covenant. It is a sign between Me and the children of Israel forever; for in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, and on the seventh day He rested and was refreshed.'"

Ezekiel 20:12 states, "Moreover I also gave them My Sabbaths, to be a sign between them and Me that they might know that I am the LORD who sanctifies them." The Sabbath was especially instituted as a sign of separation for Israel. Any person of Israel not keeping the Sabbath was to be cut off from his people.

Since it was instituted as a special sign for Israel, it could be enforced only as long as Israel was in the land of Palestine as a nation and was on proper terms with God. According to the foreknowledge of God, the Israelites were to be scattered soon after the crucifixion of Christ, and the Book of Galatians teaches that the Law was given by Moses until Christ died: "What purpose then does the law serve? It was added because of transgressions, till the Seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was appointed through angels by the hand of a mediator" (3:19). Even though Israel is back in the land now, she has not recognized her God; consequently, the sign-the Sabbath-is not yet enforced.

The Word of God makes it quite clear that Sabbath observance was a special sign between God and Israel: “The Israelites are to observe the Sabbath, celebrating it for the generations to come as a lasting covenant. It will be a sign between me and the Israelites forever, for in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, and on the seventh day he abstained from work and rested” (Exodus 31:16–17). The Sabbath was given as a special sign to the nation of Israel alone signifying them as being God's chosen nation. It was not given to Christians in during the grace dispensation as that would negate its special significance as being a sign between God and Israel.

In Deuteronomy 5, Moses restates the Ten Commandments to the next generation of Israelites. Here, after commanding Sabbath observance in verses 12–14, Moses gives the reason the Sabbath was given to the nation Israel: “Remember that you were slaves in Egypt and that the Lord your God brought you out of there with a mighty hand and an outstretched arm. Therefore the Lord your God has commanded you to observe the Sabbath day” (Deuteronomy 5:15).

God's intent for giving the Sabbath to Israel was not that they would remember creation, but that they would remember their Egyptian slavery and the Lord's deliverance. Note the requirements for Sabbath-keeping: A person placed under that Sabbath law could not leave his home on the Sabbath (Exodus 16:29), he could not build a fire (Exodus 35:3), and he could not cause anyone else to work (Deuteronomy 5:14). A person breaking the Sabbath law was to be put to death (Exodus 31:15; Numbers 15:32–35).

An examination of New Testament passages shows us four important points: 1) Whenever Christ appears in His resurrected form and the day is mentioned, it is always the first day of the week (Matthew 28:1, 9, 10; Mark 16:9; Luke 24:1, 13, 15; John 20:19, 26). 2) The only time the Sabbath is mentioned from Acts through Revelation it is for evangelistic purposes to the Jews and the setting is usually in a synagogue (Acts chapters 13–18). Paul wrote, “To the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might win Jews” (1 Corinthians 9:20). Paul did not go to the synagogue to fellowship with and edify the saints, but to convict and save the lost. 3) Once Paul states “from now on I will go to the Gentiles” (Acts 18:6), the Sabbath is never again mentioned. And 4) instead of suggesting adherence to the Sabbath day, the remainder of the New Testament implies the opposite (including the one exception to point 3 above, found in Colossians 2:16).

Looking more closely at point 4 above will reveal that there is no obligation for the New Testament believer to keep the Sabbath, and will also show that the idea of a Sunday “Christian Sabbath” is also unscriptural. As discussed above, there is one time the Sabbath is mentioned after Paul began to focus on the Gentiles, “Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day. These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ.” (Colossians 2:16–17). The Jewish Sabbath was abolished at the cross where Christ “canceled the written code, with its regulations” (Colossians 2:14).

Paul and the Sabbath

He observed the Sabbath with the Jews until he turned completely to reaching the Gentiles. In Acts 18:4-6 Paul cleared himself of his responsibility toward his people, the Jews, and turned to the Gentiles: "And he reasoned in the synagogue every Sabbath, and persuaded both Jews and Greeks. When Silas and Timothy had come from Macedonia, Paul was constrained by the Spirit, and testified to the Jews that Jesus is the Christ. But when they opposed him and blasphemed, he shook his garments and said to them, 'Your blood be upon your own heads; I am clean. From now on I will go to the Gentiles.'"

Before chapter 18 the Sabbath is mentioned eight times in the Book of the Acts. The reason for this is that Paul visited the Jew first and, of course, that was most easily done on the Sabbath, for the Jews kept the Sabbath. But when he met with the church, he always did this on the first day of the week. After Acts 18 the Sabbath is not mentioned once in the Scriptures, with the exception of Colossians 2:16: "Therefore let no one judge you in food or in drink, or regarding a festival or a new moon or Sabbaths." Here it is merely mentioned, showing that it has been abolished in view of the Dispensation of Grace. This idea is repeated more than once in the New Testament: “One man considers one day more sacred than another; another man considers every day alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind. He who regards one day as special, does so to the Lord” (Romans 14:5–6a).

It is also noted that the other apostles observed the Sabbath together with the Jews, but they did this only when they went to the places where the Jews were. After Acts 18 we do not find another mention of the Sabbath in all of Scripture, with the one exception mentioned above. Although the apostles met with the Jews on the Sabbath day to be as Paul said, "I have become all things to all men, that I might by all means save some" (1 Cor. 9:22), when they met with Christians, or the church, they met on the first day of the week (Luke 24:1; John 20:19; Acts 20:7; 1 Cor. 16:2; Rev. 1:10).

From the above statements it can be clearly seen that the apostles, including Paul, understood very well the place and purpose of the Sabbath. It was a sign for the Jews, beginning with Moses and ending with the crucifixion of Christ. It is interesting to note that once the Jews are regathered and recognize God as their King, the Sabbath will be observed again (Ezek. 36:16-38). Isaiah 56:2-3 also speaks of this time: "Blessed is the man who does this, and the son of man who lays hold on it; who keeps from defiling the Sabbath, and keeps his hand from doing any evil. Do not let the son of the foreigner who has joined himself to the LORD speak, saying, 'The LORD has utterly separated me from His people'; nor let the eunuch say, 'Here I am, a dry tree.'"

Since the members of His Body, the Church, are considered by Him to be neither Jew nor Gentile, the Sabbath is not for their observance. They are new creatures in Christ Jesus: "For He Himself is our peace, who has made both one, and has broken down the middle wall of division between us, having abolished in His flesh the enmity, that is, the law of commandments contained in ordinances, so as to create in Himself one new man from the two, thus making peace." (Eph. 2:14-15).

As we have seen, the Sabbath in God's plan concerns only Israel. Note these truths: (1) the Sabbath law was given in Exodus 16-2500 years after creation; (2) it was given as a sign to Israel (Ex. 31:12-1); (3) since Israel is scattered, the Sabbath is not now observed; the Law was finished, according to Galatians 3:19, in Christ; (4) when the Jews are reestablished as God's earthly nation, the Sabbath will again be observed. Could there be a simpler explanation than this?

The Christian Sabbath

This naturally brings up another question: Which day, then, is the Sabbath? There is no such thing as a "Christian Sabbath." No one has a right to call the Lord's Day the Christian Sabbath. Too many believers are unconsciously and taught in error to refer to it in this way, and for this reason there is much confusion. What day, then, should Christians set aside? There is no commandment given to Christians in this area. Every day of the week belongs to God. The idea of worshiping God one day in seven, whether it be the first or the seventh, and then living for self the rest of the week is simply not biblical Christianity. Every day is the Lord's, and Christians owe Him their worship and devotion as much on Monday as on Saturday or Sunday.

What day should be set apart for the Lord by the New Covenant Christian? Sunday is the day on which Jesus rose from the dead, and it is also the day He chose to meet with His disciples after His resurrection. This was not a Sabbath day, or a rest day, it was a day of activity. The Lord Jesus was very busy on the resurrection day. The false conception of so many is that Sunday is the Christian Sabbath, and since the Sabbath is a day of rest, the Sabbath laws are applied to Sunday. This has resulted in untold confusion by teachers who are not knowledgeable of what Scriptures teach. The average Christian, instead of making the Lord's Day one of service, has made it one of rest and feasting. That is not the purpose of the Lord's Day. That is merely a perversion of the Jewish Sabbath day. Christians need to grasp the meaning of this resurrection day. Souls need to be rescued from darkness, and only the gospel of Jesus Christ can accomplish this. "Therefore, to him who knows to do good and does not do it, to him it is sin" (James 4:17).

One might exclaim, "But I don't dare mention that in my church; it would only stir up a lot of trouble." That is true. It is hard to stand against traditions, but I challenge each believer to yield himself to the Lord in this matter. Thus, by the example of Christ Himself and later by the apostles, we see that the first day of the week, known as the Lord's Day, was especially set apart as a day of SERVICE for God. Saturday is the Jewish sabbath, the day of rest according to the Mosaic Law, observed by sabbath keepers like the Seventh Day Adventist.

But some claim that a mandate by Constantine in A.D. 321 “changed” the Sabbath from Saturday to Sunday. On what day did the early church meet for worship? Scripture never mentions any Sabbath (Saturday) gatherings by believers for fellowship or worship. However, there are clear passages that mention the first day of the week. For instance, Acts 20:7 states that “on the first day of the week we came together to break bread.” In 1 Corinthians 16:2 Paul urges the Corinthian believers “on the first day of every week, each one of you should set aside a sum of money in keeping with his income.” Since Paul designates this offering as “service” in 2 Corinthians 9:12, this collection must have been linked with the Sunday worship service of the Christian assembly. Historically Sunday, not Saturday, was the normal meeting day for Christians in the church, and its practice dates back to the first century.

Evidence from extra biblical historic sources before the time of Constantine reveal the first day of the week was the day of observance:
    • The Didache (c. A.D. 120) declares that “every Lord’s day” the Christians gather themselves together and “break bread” (ANF.VII.381).
    • The Epistle of Barnabas (c. A.D. 120), in discussing such things as incense, new moons, and Sabbaths, says that the Lord “abolished these things” in deference to “the new law of our Lord Jesus Christ” (ANF.I.138). Later, it is affirmed: “Wherefore, also, we keep the eighth day with joyfulness, the day also on which Jesus rose again from the dead” (I.147).
    • Justin Martyr (A.D. 140) declared that “on the day called Sunday” the primitive Christians met for worship. He further stated that this was the day on which Christ was raised from the dead (I.186).
    • Clement of Alexandria (A.D. 194) spoke of the one who “keeps the Lord’s day” as “glorifying the Lord’s resurrection in himself” (ANF.II.545).
    • Tertullian (A.D. 200) argued that the “old law” had been consummated; thus the “observance of the Sabbath is demonstrated to have been temporary” (ANF.III.155). Elsewhere he says that “Sabbaths are strange” to Christians and that they share together “the Lord’s day” (70).

The Sabbath was given to Israel, not the church. The Sabbath is still Saturday, not Sunday, and has never been changed. But the Sabbath is part of the Old Testament Law, and Christians are free from the bondage of the Law (Galatians 4:1-26; Romans 6:14). Sabbath keeping [abstain from toil] is not required of the Christian—be it Saturday or Sunday, where to demand such under the law would respond "Now therefore, why do you test God by putting a yoke on the neck of the disciples which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear?" (Acts 15:9-10). The first day of the week, Sunday, the Lord's Day (Revelation 1:10) celebrates the New Creation, with Christ as our resurrected Head. We are not obligated to follow the Mosaic Sabbath—resting, but are now free to follow the risen Christ—serving. If a Christian wants to worship on Saturday there is no prohibition against it or command to. The Apostle Paul said that each individual Christian should decide whether to observe a Sabbath rest, to repeat again “One man considers one day more sacred than another; another man considers every day alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind” (Romans 14:5). In conclusion the Christian should be motivated by the presence of Christ to worship God every day, not just on Saturday or Sunday. What work there might be done on a special day is work done in Christ for others.

Isaiah 42:6-7. Open blind eyes
    This is an eye opener.

Satan has blinded eyes of men and deceived the whole world scripture says. Revelation 12:9

You touched base on all BUT the 4th commandant that I mentioned. After reading your comment that is what stood out and I truly believe the Holy Spirit made it clear to me you are not aware of this truth.

Satan has deceived the whole world into thinking that Sunday is God's Holy Sabbath Day/ day of rest. Satan has blinded the eyes of men about the 4th commandment. In doing so Satan is worshipped because of men's traditions. God warned us about human traditions . Mark 7:8. You have let go of Gods commands and are holding on to human traditions.

Matthew 28:20. Teaching them everything I have commanded you.
    Leviticus 22:31. Keep my commands and follow them. I am The Lord .
    John 14:15. If you love Me you will keep my commandments.
    John 14:21. Whoever has my commands and keeps them.....

I believe I was sent to you for this purpose as well, to open your eyes to this . If Satan can deiceve anyone to believe that Sunday is the Sabbath day of rest , then he has won those people over. Scripture says in Genesis , God worked six days and on the seventh day He rested . Calendars have never changed. Sunday is the first day of the week. There may be a law that will come into being Called Sunday Law. God will send a strong delusion to believe the lie. 2 Thessalonians 2:11

Jesus rested in the grave on the Sabbath, which is the seventh Day which is Saturday and He rose on Sunday. Mary went to the grave on Sunday early to put spices on his body and He was not there because He had risen. She didn't go on Saturday because it was the day to rest, so she waited until After the Sabbath passed.

It's the Roman Catholic Church ages ago that changed the date and times . The Pope has power to change dates and times and abrogate Laws.
    God never changes. Gods laws were set before the world began. The ark of the covenant held the Ten Commandments . Satan has always been aware of them. Again if he can deceive and blind men from Gods truth in this , so he can be worshipped by the world. Satan has always wanted to be like God. For example: Chic fil signs say Closed Sundays. That is Satan being worshipped and obeyed. They are open on Saturdays , working on God's Seventh Day of rest on which He commanded to rest as He rested. I no longer support Chic fil. Though I think their food is good and that a draw. I have strong convictions there and no longer go there.

The Roman Catholic Church changed Sabbath worship from Saturday , Gods seventh day rest to Sunday worship. Look up "Sunday Law "that will come into effect and Pope Francis has power to make that a Law. Causing people to work on Saturday, Gods commanded day to rest. We have all fallen short of the glory of God.
    If Satan can fool and deceive everyone into thinking Sunday is Gods Sabbath then Satan, the creation is then worshipped and not the Creator God as God commands, who is worthy of All praise!!

Comment

I see you have combined new covenant and old covenant commands.

For example, “If you love Me you will keep my commandments.” And “Whoever has my commands and keeps them” using correct exegesis, these passages are not referring to keep the Ten Commandments, but “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another" John 13:35.

The fact that Jesus called it a new commandment means that it didn't exist before. The new commands are spirit and are life = love. Understanding that, then here is evidence that Jesus' commandments are not the same as the commandments given prior. There are differences.

(Old covenant - implied) New covenant
      Letter Spirit
      Kills Gives life
      Written and engraved on stones (written on hearts - II Corinthians 3:3)
      Glorious, but fading More glorious
      Ministry of condemnation Ministry of righteousness

Comment

Take a look at this.

My understanding is...in the New Earth when Christ returns these will be observed then as well and that is why He requires them now. This is something I have come to understand this past year. The Bible is active and living. Always something to learn.

In light of Ezekiel 20:12. Read that as Spiritual Israel being the Church, Christ's Bride . The Bride is whom Christ is coming back for and to set His Kingdom up on the New Earth.

He is coming back for an unblemished Bride. Unstained from the world. Obeying Him. If you love Me, you will read My word and obey what I command. I am sounding an alarm to you.

You say you petitioned the Heavens, the Lords presence and guidance. Here it is....he directed me to this out of sleep tonight to point you to what you wrote earlier. To look at this verse with spiritual eyes opened. His Word is active and living. I was never in the mindset of SDA. That is mans thinking. Stop trusting man. Isaiah 2:22. Gods word is inerrant from beginning to end.

I am appealing to you. I know you are the Pastor and I am only an feeble sinner who is trusting God and His word from beginning to end. We are living in an evil day and Satan has deceived the whole world. That is what it says, in what way has he done that??? That's the question??? In what way? The Believer should be seeking and asking God to open blind eyes. Satan is the one who blinds the eyes, and minds. 2 Corinthian 4:4.

Yes, one mind, one thought, together as one. God is just in all He does. He does not share His glory with another. He is coming back and throw Satan and his lies into the pit that was created for Satan and his angels. Satan has deceived the minds of men. Christ is coming back to crush the head of the serpent.

Think about it....we observe shall not murder, shall not steal, Do not take the Lord's Name in vain etc. those are Old Testament. . Again, the 4th commandment , keep the Sabbath day holy.

I sent you a link on the Importance of the Sabbath. Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath. Satan has always wanted to be like God and to be worshipped. If he can fool the world even about just one of Gods commands, he has won the world. God has His commands and they ate to be obeyed. If not, then His will, will be done.

May this be an eye opener. We have to have zeal, burning fervor for God and His word!!! Taking Him at His word. This is my plea that you have ears to hear.

Comment

Yes! I have ears and I hear, I am delighting myself in the Lord with you dear sister.

In Galatians 4:10-11, Paul rebukes the Galatians for thinking God expected them to observe special days (including the Sabbath) while in Romans 14:5, Paul forbids those who observe the Sabbath (these were no doubt Jewish believers) to condemn those who do not (Gentile believers).

As Paul said, "I am amazed that you are so quickly deserting Him who called you by the grace of Christ, for a different gospel; which is really not another; only there are some who are disturbing you and want to distort the gospel of Christ. But even if we, or an angel from heaven, should preach to you a gospel contrary to what we have preached to you, he is to be accursed! As we have said before, so I say again now, if any man is preaching to you a gospel contrary to what you received, he is to be accursed!" Galatians 1:6-9

Paul accused Judaizers of teaching that observance of the Abrahamic ritual was necessary to be justified and hence saved, i.e. Legalism. Paul was stressing that those who would establish any other way to heaven than what the gospel of Christ reveals, will find themselves wretchedly mistaken. The apostle presses upon the Galatians a due sense of their guilt in forsaking the gospel way of justification; yet he reproves with tenderness, and represents them as drawn into it by the craftiness of some that troubled them. Paul was distraught that some would set up the works of the law in the place of Christ's righteousness, and thus they corrupted the Grace of God. The apostle solemnly denounces, as accursed, everyone who attempts to lay so false a foundation. All other gospels than that of the grace of Christ, whether more flattering to self-righteous pride, or more favorable to worldly lusts, are devices of Satan. And while we declare that to reject the moral law as a rule of life, tends to dishonor Christ, and destroy true religion, we must also declare, that all dependence for justification on good works, whether real or supposed, is as fatal to those who persist in it. While we are zealous for good works, let us be careful not to put them in the place of Christ's righteousness, and not to advance anything which may betray others into so dreadful a delusion.

Seven Day Adventists and United Church of God are under the same delusion, both are together wrong because they do not understand the Final Atonement. Keeping the Sabbath and abstaining from unclean food does not constitute the Everlasting Gospel although the Sabbath a part of that Gospel as revealed in the Sanctuary. If the Sanctuary is not properly understood then most will drift into the one Atonement theology of the Evangelicals and this is what has happened to the Seven Day Adventists mainline and the other churches like UCG which never had the Atonement right in the first place. The Old Testament regulations governing Sabbath observances are ceremonial, not moral, aspects of the law. As such, they are no longer in force, but have passed away along with the sacrificial system, the Levitical priesthood, and all other aspects of Moses' law that prefigured Christ.

In Colossians 2:16-17, Paul explicitly refers to the Sabbath as a shadow of Christ, which is no longer binding since the substance (Christ) has come. It is quite clear in those verses that the weekly Sabbath is in view. The phrase "a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day" refers to the annual, monthly, and weekly holy days of the Jewish calendar (cf. 1 Chronicles 23:31; 2 Chronicles 2:4; 31:3; Ezekiel 45:17; Hosea 2:11). If Paul were referring to special ceremonial dates of rest in that passage, why would he have used the word "Sabbath?" He had already mentioned the ceremonial dates when he spoke of festivals and new moons.

The Sabbath was the sign to Israel of the Mosaic Covenant (Exodus 31:16-17; Ezekiel 20:12; Nehemiah 9:14). Since we are now under the New Covenant (Hebrews 8), we are no longer required to observe the sign of the Mosaic Covenant along with the fact that The New Testament never commands Christians to observe the Sabbath. Nowhere in the Old Testament are the Gentile nations commanded to observe the Sabbath or condemned for failing to do so. That is certainly strange if Sabbath observance were meant to be an eternal moral principle.

May you read and understand the great delusion that has been sent to seduce those who seek Christ! It is great and effective and many fall into the great snare of Satan. “…yet we know that a person is justified not by the works of the law but through faith in Jesus Christ. And we have come to believe in Christ Jesus, so that we might be justified by faith in Christ, and not by doing the works of the law, because no one will be justified by the works of the law. (Galatians 2:3–10, 15-16 NRSV) And “You have become estranged from Christ, you who attempt to be justified by law; you have fallen from grace" Galatians 5:2–4.

And "Therefore no one will be declared righteous in God's sight by the works of the law; rather, through the law we become conscious of our sin.” Romans 3:20.
          I could paste scriptures for a long time, revealing how wrong the teaching you are receiving is simply not biblical. There is no possibility of proving otherwise, where Galatians is dedicated is teaching against the heresies that you have been seduced by. I would ask you to become a student of Galatians and the book of Romans apart from the United Church of God and find what the truth really is about Grace verses the Law, it is completely different than what you have been taught. Take it from God’s word, not the teachings of men.

We will continue to pray for you… in Jesus’ name.

Comment

Christ Jesus is the atonement for our sin. His blood stained cross had to be to satisfy the Father who sent Him to die for His people. Saved by Grace, through faith alone. There had to be a blood sacrifice. Jesus was the perfect sacrifice. I have been attending St Andrews Reformed Theology. R.C. Sproul is my Pastor and Burk Parsons.

I stay in the scriptures daily. The word teaches, rebukes, corrects...

I have had to walk away from a number of friends this year that have chosen a watered down gospel. Them not wanting to offend anyone. There is only One gospel for sure and that is Jesus Christ crucified for sinners and one must be born again as He says.

Hope this puts your mind at ease.

Comment

Amen!!!! Absolutely agree!

As you said, “There is only One gospel for… and that is Jesus Christ crucified for sinners and one must be born again.” Praise the Lord for your report, where RC Sproul of Ligonier Ministries teaches a sound word of Monergism!

Yes, staying in the word daily… teaches, rebukes and correct. Amen!

My wife and I too have had to walk away from people who settle for a compromising Gospel. Unfortunately, that can thin out a friendship circle quickly in these days. Some we abide with as the Lord directs, because they seek although confused, others have fully abandoned the way where we must shake the dust from our shoes (Matt. 10:14) and no longer give what is holy to the dogs (Matt. 7:6).

You do understand the Scripture that states, “The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much” James 5:16. Righteous used here does not mean moral or a good person for "No one is good--except God alone.” Mark 10:18. “But the righteous shall live by faith.” Paul quotes it in Romans 1:17, emphasizing the idea that righteousness by faith is for both Jews and Gentiles: “For in the gospel a righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith, just as it is written, ‘The righteous will live by faith.’”

Then, in Galatians 3:11, we read, “Now it is evident that no one is justified before God by the law, for ‘The righteous shall live by faith.’” Here, Paul stresses that we are justified or made right before God by faith. The Law has no ability to justify anyone. As Habakkuk had recorded, people have always been saved by faith, not by works. Habakkuk 2:4 is also quoted in Hebrews 10:38.

Christians are saved by grace through faith (Ephesians 2:8-9), and we walk in faith (2 Corinthians 5:7). Only by faith in Christ are we made righteous (Romans 5:19). Paul further expounds on this truth in Galatians 2:16, saying, “We know that a person is not justified by works of the law but through faith in Jesus Christ, so we also have believed in Christ Jesus, in order to be justified by faith in Christ and not by works of the law, because by works of the law no one will be justified.” It is Christ’s righteousness that saves us, and the only way to receive that gift is to trust in Him. “Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life” (John 3:36).

We pray for you as Paul did in Colossians 1:9-14, "For this reason, since the day we heard about you, we have not stopped praying for you. We continually ask God to fill you with the knowledge of his will through all the wisdom and understanding that the Spirit gives, so that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and please him in every way: bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God, being strengthened with all power according to his glorious might so that you may have great endurance and patience, and giving joyful thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of his holy people in the kingdom of light. For he has rescued us from the dominion of darkness and brought us into the kingdom of the Son he loves, in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.”

Yours faithfully in Christ’s service.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7821 users online. 0 members and 7821 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,272 at 07:19 AM on 03-28-2024.

Discerning the Truth Forum Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 298   Posts: 985   Members: 221   Active Members: 0
              Welcome to our newest member, Markus Wagner.
              Working...
              X