Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad Eye Full of Darkness

"But if your eye is bad, your whole body will be full of darkness. If then the light in you is darkness, how great is the darkness!" Matthew 6:23

This passage resided in context between these two: "Store not up for yourselves treasures upon earth... But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven... For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also." Matthew 6:19-21 for "No one can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other." Matthew 6:24a

An eye that looks but cannot see properly, sees nothing as it is, so a mind and heart divided between heaven and earth is full of faulty reasoning and darkness of understanding. It refers to an eye that cannot see the beauty of God’s grace and the brightness of His generosity. A worldly eye is obsessed to mull over the trials of life, lack of resources, what it does not have or fear of loss. In contrast, the worldly eye can also be consumed with the lust of possessions, wealth, power and fame. It is an eye that is spiritually blind, misaligned to what is truly beautiful, bright, precious and pleasing to God.

A worldly-minded Christian is a common and fatal symptom of hypocrisy, for by no sin can Satan have a surer and faster hold of the soul than under the cloak of a profession of religion. Jesus and the Spirit speaking through Scripture counsels us to seek the joys and glories of the next world. Looking unto those things not seen which are eternal, and to trust our happiness in the hereafter as our final destiny.

The person who clings to the world and loves it, must despise God; he who loves God, must give up the friendship of the world. Doesn't it sound as if a foreign concept to consider in this day of age? The worldly person is wrong in their thinking and understanding in contrast to God's counsel; therefore all their reasoning and actions stem from erred comprehension.

The spiritual conclusion: Renew your mind so that you view heavenly treasure as infinitely more precious than earthly gain. When the eyes of your heart see in this manner, you are full of light. And if you don’t comprehend things this way, even the light you think you see is darkness.

Amen to this!

I've found myself sorely lacking in terms of faith, especially lately, and as it happens when we are struggling with an issue and the Lord provides answers for us everywhere we turn (or so it seems), so I praise the Lord for this Word of Truth.

Also, some days ago I also run across Hebrews 11-12 where I was reminded of the great number of faithful believers who, because they knew they were pilgrims and foreigners on this land and had their hearts fixed on heaven and God's reward, they were able to walk with God in faith even though they did not receive what they were hoping for.

Likewise today, we are encouraged to keep our eyes on Christ, who by the same token, was able to keep a proper perspective on life and endure shame unto death, is now seating at the right hand of God. How amazing to be reminded of this when it is so easy to fall prey to the world and culture around us. The key is keeping our eyes on Christ, the author and perfecter of our faith.

Praise the Lord for our Savior!

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7675 users online. 0 members and 7675 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,272 at 07:19 AM on 03-28-2024.

Discerning the Truth Forum Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 298   Posts: 985   Members: 221   Active Members: 0
    Welcome to our newest member, Markus Wagner.
    Working...
    X