No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jesus is the Foundation

Word of the Cross Bible Study – November 20th, 2013

Read 1 Corinthians 3:10-15: "By the grace God has given me, I laid a foundation as a wise builder, and someone else is building on it. But each one should build with care. For no one can lay any foundation other than the one already laid, which is Jesus Christ. If anyone builds on this foundation using gold, silver, costly stones, wood, hay or straw, their work will be shown for what it is, because the Day will bring it to light. It will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test the quality of each person’s work. If what has been built survives, the builder will receive a reward. If it is burned up, the builder will suffer loss but yet will be saved—even though only as one escaping through the flames."

Now if any man build upon this foundation... The different materials laid on this foundation, or the different doctrines promoted upon it, like good works, human philosophy, endless genealogies, human traditions, rites and ceremonies.

Read Isaiah 28:15-18: "Because you have said, “We have made a covenant with death, and with Sheol we have an agreement, when the overwhelming whip passes through it will not come to us, for we have made lies our refuge, and in falsehood we have taken shelter; therefore thus says the Lord GOD, “Behold, I am the one who has laid as a foundation in Zion, a stone, a tested stone, a precious cornerstone, of a sure foundation: ‘Whoever believes will not be in haste.’ And I will make justice the line, and righteousness the plumb line; and hail will sweep away the refuge of lies, and waters will overwhelm the shelter. Then your covenant with death will be annulled, and your agreement with Sheol will not stand; when the overwhelming scourge passes through, you will be beaten down by it.

The phrases found in verse 15 are expressive of their being fearless of death and hell, and of their confidence and assurance that they should not be hurt by them. This would be a similar position of modern atheist or agnostics, that they have no fear of death because they are as gods in control of their destiny.

He who believes (trusts in, relies on, and adheres to that Stone) will not be ashamed or give way or hasten away [in sudden panic]. Shall not make haste; or be impatient for the fulfilment of this prophecy, but patiently wait for it, knowing that it is for an appointed time, and will not tarry; and that God will hasten it in his own time.

"I will make justice the line." A metaphor taken from builders, who in building use the line and plummet to check stones that should be retained and those that should not be kept. Signifying, that in the spiritual building, where Christ is the foundation and cornerstone, such as are built will continue and grow up regularly into a living holy temple; but those that do not place all on this precious stone, but instead build upon the sandy foundation of their own righteousness, will themselves find refuge of lies, and cover themselves in deceptions.

In verse 18, the prophet Isaiah, or the Lord by him speak of their lying prophets, and the false doctrines they delivered to them, promising them peace when destruction was at hand.

Read 1 Peter 2:4: "As you come to him, a living stone rejected by men but in the sight of God chosen and precious, you yourselves like living stones are being built up as a spiritual house, to be a holy priesthood, to offer spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ. For it stands in Scripture: “Behold, I am laying in Zion a stone, a cornerstone chosen and precious, and whoever believes in him will not be put to shame.” So the honor is for you who believe, but for those who do not believe, “The stone that the builders rejected has become the cornerstone,” and “A stone of stumbling, and a rock of offense.” They stumble because they disobey the word, as they were destined to do."

Read Luke 6:46: “Why do you call me ‘Lord, Lord,’ and not do what I tell you? Everyone who comes to me and hears my words and does them, I will show you what he is like: he is like a man building a house, who dug deep and laid the foundation on the rock. And when a flood arose, the stream broke against that house and could not shake it, because it had been well built. But the one who hears and does not do them is like a man who built a house on the ground without a foundation. When the stream broke against it, immediately it fell, and the ruin of that house was great.”

This goes along with "But be you doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves…" James 1:22-25

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7690 users online. 0 members and 7690 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,272 at 07:19 AM on 03-28-2024.

Discerning the Truth Forum Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 298   Posts: 985   Members: 221   Active Members: 0
Welcome to our newest member, Markus Wagner.
Working...
X