Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• God's Will Part II

In the last post I attempted to describe what was involved in following the will of God. The phrase, moral will, was described as what God desires us to do. This moral will is found when reading the Bible.

First and foremost, it is God’s desire for us to be saved. Nothing we do can earn us eternal life. All men/women are sinners and they are separated from God. The death of Jesus, God’s son, was the only sacrifice that can bring us back to God. Salvation comes to those who believe in Jesus Christ.

God also desires for us to live in the Spirit Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit (Ephesians 5:18). This essentially means to live in the Spirit or to let the Spirit of God control ones life. Our mind must be centered on Christ.

It is also God’s will for His followers to live a sanctified life. This means that we must strive to live a life set apart from the world. God desires for us to be holy because he is holy. This of course is not achievable by our own means and standards, so we must remember that Jesus not only saves us from our sins at our time of conversion, but he also continues to save us. We must not forget the need for our daily renewal in Him.

Finally, brothers, we instructed you how to live in order to please God, as in fact you are living. Now we ask you and urge you in the Lord Jesus to do this more and more. For you know what instructions we gave you by the authority of the Lord Jesus. It is God’s will that you should be sanctified: that you should avoid sexual immorality; that each of you should learn to control his own body in a way that is holy and honorable, not in passionate lust like the heathen, who do not know God; and that in this matter no one should wrong his brother or take advantage of him. The Lord will punish men for all such sins, as we have already told you and warned you. For God did not call us to be impure, but to live a holy life. Therefore, he who rejects this instruction does not reject man but God, who gives you his Holy Spirit. (1 Thessalonians 4: 1-8)

My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have one who speaks to the Father in our defense-Jesus Christ, the Righteous One. (1 John 2:1)

It is God’s will according to the scriptures that we learn to be submissive:

Submit yourselves for the Lord’s sake to every authority instituted among men: whether to the king, as the supreme authority. ( 1 Peter 2:13)

We will often suffer for proclaiming the Gospel, according to God‘s will:

But even if you should suffer for what is right, you are blessed. “Do not fear what they fear; do not be frightened.” But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander. It is better, if it is God’s will, to suffer for doing good than for doing evil. (1 Peter 3:14-17)

It is God’s will that we give Him thanks:

Give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus. (1 Thessalonians 5:18)

So we now know what God’s will involves for our life. So this still does not help us to understand the everyday decisions that we often face. How do we know which door to walk through when a prior door closes? (Another church culture axiom that is not found in the scripture!!! )

To answer that question I offer the following:

Do what you desire!

When we are saved, living in the Spirit, striving to be sanctified, submissive, suffering because of the Gospel, and always giving thanks to the Lord, then God does something very special.

I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. (Romans 7:18)

Yes, LORD, walking in the way of your laws, we wait for you; your name and renown are the desire of our hearts. (Isaiah 26:8)

Delight yourself in the LORD and he will give you the desires of your heart. (Psalm 37:4)

When walking in our sinful nature, in active rebellion to the truth found in God’s Word we can fully expect not to know what God desires for us to do in our individual life. When we strive to walk in God’s way, God Himself becomes the desire of our heart. When this happens God will give us the desires of our heart–which is MORE of Him! Our decisions in our personal life will therefore be in fact in God’s will because God places these desires on our heart.

So the focus should not be on finding this mysterious secret will that we keep hearing about, but in fact walking with Christ in our daily life through being saved, walking in the Spirit, striving to be sanctified, being submissive, suffering for Christ, and constantly giving thanks.

Repost from: http://cmnahrwold.wordpress.com/2012...ill-revisited/

I can’t add anything to that outline… that is complete Well done, Chris!

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7784 users online. 0 members and 7784 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,272 at 07:19 AM on 03-28-2024.

Discerning the Truth Forum Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 298   Posts: 985   Members: 221   Active Members: 0
    Welcome to our newest member, Markus Wagner.
    Working...
    X