No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Body in Submission and Unity

Word of the Cross Bible Study – February 8th, 2012

There are many clear and emphatic scriptures detailing the act of submission to spiritual authority, not just in the church, but also for husbands, wives, children, and employees, to civil, parental, and spiritual authority.

A number of words are used in the Bible that is synonymous with submission and unity; Honor, respect, giving, love and humility. A person who understands submission and unity will have fruits of humility, charity (love), selfless ambitions, accountability, and personally responsible about details. On the other hand, a person who does not understand submission and unity is domineering, critical, motivated by personal agendas, self-ruled, unaccountable, and irresponsible about details.

Biblical submission is not slavery; it is a very fundamental principle of life that is to be practiced in the world and the church. Submission to spiritual authority is about a functional relationship of love and honor, to God first, then to man. Submission is a principle that should be practiced in every area of life, including the church, for it is godly order and divine principles for safety and prospering in the faith.

Read 1 Thessalonians 5:12-13 ESV - "And we beseech you, brethren, to know them which labor among you, and are over you in the Lord, and admonish you; And to esteem them very highly in love for their work’s sake. And be at peace among yourselves."

“Know them” - Act kindly towards them; acknowledge them as the messengers of Christ; and treat them with tenderness and respect. Become intimate in fellowship with them as to know their hearts.

Read 1 Peter 2:13-15 ESV - "Be subject for the Lord's sake to every human institution, whether it be to the emperor as supreme, or to governors as sent by him to punish those who do evil and to praise those who do good. For this is the will of God, that by doing good you should put to silence the ignorance of foolish people."

“Be subject... to every human institution” - The Jews thought it unlawful to obey any ruler that was not of their own stock; the apostle tells them they should obey the civil magistrate. Submissive to every form of political government, where the laws are not in opposition to the principles of God.

“...silence the ignorance of foolish people” - The reference here is to men who brought charges against Christians, by accusing them of being contentious with the government, or insubordinate, or guilty of crimes. Such charges, it is well known, were often brought against them by their enemies in the early ages of Christianity. One of the best ways of meeting the accusations of our enemies is to lead a life of strict integrity. It is not easy for the wicked to reply to this argument.

Read 1 Peter 2:18-20 ESV - "Servants, be subject to your masters with all respect, not only to the good and gentle but also to the unjust. For this is a gracious thing, when, mindful of God, one endures sorrows while suffering unjustly. For what credit is it if, when you sin and are beaten for it, you endure? But if when you do good and suffer for it you endure, this is a gracious thing in the sight of God."

“be subject to your masters with all respect” - This was another belief of the Jews, that because they were the seed of Abraham, they ought not to be the servants of any; and particularly such as were believers in Christ thought they ought not to serve unbelieving masters, nor indeed believing ones, because they were equally brethren in Christ with them.

Read 1 Peter 3:1-2 ESV - "Likewise, wives, be subject to your own husbands, so that even if some do not obey the word, they may be won without a word by the conduct of their wives, when they see your respectful and pure conduct."

“...be subject to your own husbands” - Consider that your husband is, by God's appointment, the head and ruler of the house. Do not, therefore, attempt to usurp his appointment; for even though he obeys not the Word even if not a believer in the Christian doctrine, his rule is not thereby less sanctioned by God. Christianity never attempts to alter civil relationships. A wife’s affectionate and agreeable conduct will be the means of convincing him of the truth of the faith in which you submit.

Read 1 Peter 3:7 - "Likewise, husbands, live with your wives in an understanding way, showing honor to the woman as the weaker vessel, since they are heirs with you of the grace of life, so that your prayers may not be hindered."

“...live with your wives in an understanding way” - There needs to be an effort to understand her as to know her needs. There has to be special consideration of her weaknesses and what she especially needs from you. There has to be a recognition that she is a fellow heir of the grace and supported with honor rather than comments that belittle or are demeaning. When husbands treat their wives with understanding, tender care, and honor, their prayers will not be hindered.

Read Ecclesiastes 4:9-12 - "Two are better than one because they have a good reward for their toil. For if they fall, one will lift up his fellow. But woe to him who is alone when he falls and has not another to lift him up! Again, if two lie together, they keep warm, but how can one keep warm alone? And though a man might prevail against one who is alone, two will withstand him—a threefold cord is not quickly broken."

“...have a good reward” - The good reward consists in this, that each one of the two has the pleasant consciousness of doing good to the other by his labor, and especially by being helpful to him. In all things union leads to success and safety, and the union of the body of believers. They assist each other with encouragement or friendly reproof. They warm each other's hearts while they converse together of the love of Christ, or join in singing his praises. Together, they improve opportunities for Christian fellowship and service in the community.

Read John 17:20-23 - “I do not ask for these only, but also for those who will believe in me through their word, that they may all be one, just as you, Father, are in me, and I in you, that they also may be in us, so that the world may believe that you have sent me. The glory that you have given me I have given to them, that they may be one even as we are one, I in them and you in me, that they may become perfectly one, so that the world may know that you sent me and loved them even as you loved me."

When we understand the principle of submission and unity we will understand the authority of God.

When we discussed this teaching in subjection to scriptures last night, the first thing that came to my mind was the fact that we as part of the body of Christ have failed miserably at showing unity and submission. Our divisions and internal conflicts are often seen by those of the world and this is one of the main reasons unbelievers do not consider Christianity as having substance. Just as John 17:20 reads above, "...that they may become perfectly one, so that the world may know that you sent me..."

When we are able to bear the offenses of others and keep on walking in unity with our brothers and sisters in the faith, showing this love and submission, what a powerful testimony to others that we are of God!

And of course, this means that we must start in our own homes. Within the family, that is where essentialy unity starts.

It is my prayer today that our God will keep on transforming our hearts to live unity, to love each other, so that we honor his Name and bring many more souls to his knowledge.

Comment

Good teaching, Is it possible to do a further in-depth teaching on submission as there many who mis-use this doctrine for their own ends.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7623 users online. 0 members and 7623 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,272 at 07:19 AM on 03-28-2024.

Discerning the Truth Forum Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 298   Posts: 985   Members: 221   Active Members: 0
      Welcome to our newest member, Markus Wagner.
      Working...
      X