X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Come As You Are

Word of the Cross Bible Study
    December 21st, 2011

God's spirit constantly calls all His children to seek Him, to even run to Him. Not fearing judgment or chastisement as unworthy, but to realize that His chosen one "Jesus" was provided as an intermediator on our behalf. Jesus was in fact endowed with a spiritual essence beyond any human before or since, or shall ever be. Jesus was a living testimony to God's mercy, and as Jesus represented the Father of Creation, he beckons to all, come and eat.

Read Isaiah 55:1-3 ESV “Come, everyone who thirsts, come to the waters; and he who has no money, come, buy and eat! Come; buy wine and milk without money and without price. Why do you spend your money for that which is not bread and your labor for that which does not satisfy? Listen diligently to me, and eat what is good, and delight yourselves in rich food. Incline your ear, and come to me; hear that your soul may live; and I will make with you an everlasting covenant, my steadfast, sure love for David."

The word 'thirst' often indicates deep unsatisfied desire, and is thus applied to the sense of want which the hungry souls often have, and their anxious search for finding that to meet the need of the mystery of yearning that longs within. No needs are so great, none so imperiously demanding, as those of unmet hunger and thirst. The invitation here is made to all. 'Everyone' is called to come.

"He who has no money" - The person who cannot offer goodness in themselves as if riches, they know they have no goodness to be worthy, no goodness of their own. In truth, those who have not confidence in their own goodness will favor better at the banquet prepared, whereas they eat of the true fruit, and the true vine. Those who trust in their own goodness will be dry and barren.

"Buy wine and milk" - Wine, in the Scriptures, is usually spoken of as that which exhilarates, or makes glad the heart. The image here may be designed specifically to denote that the blessings of salvation make people happy, or dissipate the sorrows of life, and cheer them in their troubles and longings. Milk, in the Scriptures, is used to denote that which nourishes, or is nutritious. The combined sense here is that the blessings of the God’s good news is suited to nourish and support the soul as well as to make it glad and cheerful.

"for that which is not bread" - The idea here is, that people are endeavoring to purchase happiness outside of God's way by their own means, and are disappointed. Bread is the support of life; it is therefore emblematic of whatever contributes to support and fulfillment of the soul.

"labor for that which does not satisfy" - Such a one who works very hard using earthly means to find happiness within, and finds after much labor, that it does not produce satisfaction. There is a void in the heart which these self-attainments cannot fulfill. This is gap that yearns for a “spirit oneness” with its Creator, a deep longing found but not understood within all hearts.

Read Isaiah 30:18 ESV "Therefore the LORD waits to be gracious to you, and therefore he exalts himself to show mercy to you. For the LORD is a God of justice; blessed are all those who wait for him."

God is patient, and in his patience as waiting, for our openness and willingness. "therefore he exalts himself" - He shows Himself to us in so many ways, even though we are not deserving based on moral values, we are showered with countless blessings, so that in time, we might recognize the Father of Lights is indeed the provider of all good things (James 1:17).

To explain the usage of the title "My Lord", it is used commonly to supplant the Hebrew "Adonai" which was the title used instead of writing or speaking the sacred Hebrew to transcribed Roman Tetragrammaton "YHWH" or later written as "Yahweh". The original pronunciation is unknown. The most likely meaning of the name may be “He Brings into Existence Whatever Exists." The traditional rendering of the name, as found in English Bibles, is "I am who I am" or "I am that I am". Creator God is not as a person to apply a label since He is all in all, therefore as nameless; the non-created always existing "one" does not have a name, but allows identification for human appeasement.

Read Matthew 11:28 ESV "Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest."

Jesus was in part referring to the Jews, who were weary under the weight of their ceremonial laws and the traditions of the elders. However, it is a message to all, who are under the yoke of slavery, the taskmaster who insists that we will find fulfillment in worldly pursuits and pleasure. Under that slavery, we become burdened in our soul, heavy with guilt, shame, embarrassment, bound in bondage to those things that promise happiness but instead result in addictions and more emptiness, making us slaves of vain pursuits. Christ implores us to look to Him for that inner fullness, and delivered from the madness of our former way, our souls will find rest.

Read 2 Peter 3:9 ESV "The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance."

It should not be thought because His promise seems to be long delayed that therefore they will fail or be forgotten as we expect from others. For example, since God promises rest, any delay often is caused by us, but He is not slack as not to fulfill. Any delay should be regarded as a proof of His patience. His nature is benevolent, and He sincerely desires the eternal happiness of all who live.

Read James 4:8 ESV "Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded."

If we wish the favor of God, we must come to Him; nor can we hope for His mercy, unless we approach Him and ask Him for it. It is in the act of "asking" that we shift from self-sufficiency to trusting another. We cannot literally approach nearer to God than we always are, for He is always round about us; but we may come nearer in a spiritual sense. But the realization of "drawing to near to God" is conditional. To wash or cleanse the hands is emblematic of putting away purposeful sin and supporting lifestyle. In order to obtain the favor of God, it is necessary to put away our sins; to approach Him with a desire to be granted a new heart, as to be renewed. On the other hand, this passage is not implying we can ever obtain acceptance with God by choice of our good deeds. Only through the accepted sacrifice of Christ, will God accept us. In essence, we must understand that a turning of the heart to God is essential part of realizing God’s favor.

"You double-minded" - This addresses those who are illuminated on the path, but not wholly willing to make a break from the old ways that loves sin. Such a person is trying to go forward, while one arm is wrapped passionately around what is an old pattern of bondage to the fallen nature. James correctly surmises that such a person should never expect anything from the Lord. And the word "anything" means just that, “not one thing”. (James 1:7-8).

Read Matthew 16:24 ESV "Then Jesus told his disciples, “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me."

"Let him, deny himself" - That is, let him surrender to God his will, his affections, his body, and his soul. Let him not seek his own happiness as the main goal in life, but be willing to renounce all, and lay down his life also, if required.

"Take up his cross and follow me" - To embrace the condition which God has appointed, and bear the troubles and difficulties he may meet while walking the Christian road. "And follow me" - To imitate Jesus, to do and share all in His Spirit to fulfill all as guided by God.

Just as I Am, Without One Plea
    Text: Charlotte Elliott, 1789-1871
    Music: William B. Bradbury, 1816-1868

1. Just as I am, without one plea,
    but that thy blood was shed for me,
    and that thou bidst me come to thee,
    O Lamb of God, I come, I come.

2. Just as I am, and waiting not
    to rid my soul of one dark blot,
    to thee whose blood can cleanse each spot,

3. Just as I am, though tossed about
    with many a conflict, many a doubt,
    fightings and fears within, without,

4. Just as I am, poor, wretched, blind;
    sight, riches, healing of the mind,
    yea, all I need in thee to find,

5. Just as I am, thou wilt receive,
    wilt welcome, pardon, cleanse, relieve;
    because thy promise I believe,

6. Just as I am, thy love unknown
    hath broken every barrier down;
    now, to be thine, yea thine alone,

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7825 users online. 0 members and 7825 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,272 at 07:19 AM on 03-28-2024.

Discerning the Truth Forum Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 298   Posts: 985   Members: 221   Active Members: 0
Welcome to our newest member, Markus Wagner.
Working...
X