Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Equal with Lord Jesus?!?

During my bible study I was reading reference verses listed in my NKJV about the word "salvation" and Romans 8:29 says:

"For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brethren."

I then went to Hebrews 2:11, an additional refrence verse, it says:

"For both He who sanctifies and those who are being sanctified are all of one, for which reason He is not ashamed to call them brethren"

I cannot comprehend ever being on equal footing with Lord Jesus, so I would figure that it means his children, but the word "brethren" throws a monkey wrench in that thought.

Anyone care to share thoughts on this?
    May the Holy Spirit always move within you!

Brethren in Christ

Greetings Christopher,

I do find the word "brethren" or a common interpretation "brothers" the key word here. The Greek word adephos would imply "family" or "from the womb" not meaning the same as being equal to Jesus.

Hebrews 2:11 captures the depth of our kinship by explaining that the one who makes us right with the Father, Jesus, and the ones being made right through him are all one, as family or brethren. Again, not equal, but family.

We become heirs of eternal life. In as much as Christ was raised from the dead, He was an example of what each genuine Christian can expect for ourselves if we continue in Him. Our life is like scaffolding that is erected during our short physical dwelling. When it falls away, only that which remains will survive.

The scriptures teach that we are grafted in as wild (foreign) branches to the vine. Not being of the vine by nature, but by means of the expert gardener, successfully attached to receive life from the vine as to now be part of the whole. John 15:5 quotes Jesus "I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in me, and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing."

When we place our faith in Christ, who died for our sin, we inherit all of the blessings that were the privileged possession of the Son. We are adopted as God’s sons and daughters and made heirs. Ephesians 1:1-14 is a great study regarding our inheritance in Christ.

First, we were chosen before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in His sight. Before we were ever born, and with His full knowledge that we’d rebel against Him, He determined to make us family as to dwell in the court of the holy, no matter what it would cost Him.

Second, He predestined us to be adopted into His family. We are His sons and daughters. When I was adopted, I become part of a new family I would not have known otherwise. Everything of the adopted family became equally shared as if I had been an original part. The same sort of transaction happens when we trust Christ. But sometimes we can forget that we have the rights of sons and daughters and instead perceive ourselves as orphans. We have incredible riches in Christ, but we sometimes act as street urchins begging for bread.

This adoption speaks not only of privilege but also of the security of our salvation. While there are many things we can do to hinder our fellowship with God, we cannot change our relationship. We will always be His children or "brethren" by virtue of our adoption into His family.

Comment

Thanks!

Thanks a bunch, you really cleared that up for me quite well, and thanks for taking the time to give me such a detailed explanation of my question.

Comment

As I began to pray I said.... "Father, I come to YOU in the name of Jesus." At that point the Holy Spirit literally said to me, "Say, I come to you as one with Christ"
        It left me speechless momentarily.... YET, I then acted on His direction and said those exact words to the Father. Well, the Holy Spirit doesn't direct you in any way other than according to the Word.

Thus, he began to show me in the Scriptures the very ones you are talking about. Such as Hebrews 2:11. He also directed me I Corinthians 6:17 which says "He that is joined to the Lord is one spirit."

When we are born again... he joins us to Christ. Many Scriptures say that we are "in Christ." That is literal. We are united to Christ. We are joined to Him.
        He married my spirit and His Spirit and made them one. Try not to argue about this truth... try to prove it to be true. You and the Body of Christ will be blessed when they see the balance of this. We never become deity. Yet we ARE brethren.

As a Man on this earth Jesus was bringing us into the same relationship as He Himself had with the Father. Nothing less. Now, that is good news. As a Man he was the last Adam. We are now "in" this last Adam.... the one who did NOT sin, and who has redeemed us back into full reconciliation with He and His Father. Love what Andrew Murray said.... "I have as much right to be in the presence of the Father as does Jesus." Always by what was done on the Cross, His resurrection, His ascension, and His Holy Spirit descending. Full redemption. Now we have to grow up into the REALITY of what HE actually did for us.
        Sandy

Comment

Powerfull

Very well put Sandy, and as I continue to experience the Holy Sprit showing me the truths in God's word, I am sure it will become even more clear to me.

Anyone can READ the bible, but if I would not have engaged myself in it, and meditated on the scripture, praying that Jesus would move the Holy Sprit within me so that I may have the truths reveled to me, I never would have had this question to ask!

Comment

Hi Christopher

You are soooooooo right. If you had not desired for His wonderful Spirit to direct you and to lead you, you would not have even had that question come forth.

One pastor said... "You can't have a decent thought about God that HE didn't already put there first." I agree. HE divinely sets us up for times such as this.

If you want to read an interesting book about how Fuchsia Pickett found the REALITY of God and HIS Holy Spirit after having been a (called) pastor for 17 years it will really open your eyes about how we read the Word and we think we know what it means, and then HIS SPIRIT shows up, and reveals the Truth and the Life that is really living in that Word.... it is called:
            "Stones of Remembrance" by Fuchsia Pickett

If interested, I must tell you that the book is out of print... yet, as far as I know you can order it through Amazon.com: Online Shopping for Electronics, Apparel, Computers, Books, DVDs & more or through others. AND if not, I would be glad to send you an extra copy of mine... and when you finish you can just send it back to me.
            Sandy

Comment

Thanks!

When I am not reading the bible, I open a book by Terry Johnson called "The Parables of Jesus" ,it has been a good read so far, but that you for your kind offer.

Comment

You are welcome regarding the offer....
                Sandy

Comment

Very intresting, I shall re-read those scripture verses in my own bible and pray that the Holy Sprit shows me the truth contained within them.

Thanks

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7668 users online. 0 members and 7668 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,272 at 07:19 AM on 03-28-2024.

Discerning the Truth Forum Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 298   Posts: 985   Members: 221   Active Members: 0
                  Welcome to our newest member, Markus Wagner.
                  Working...
                  X