• Show
Clear All

• Deliver Me from Deceitful Hearts

Click image for larger version

Name:	Deliver Me from Deceitful Heart.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	1674

The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure. Who can understand it?
    Jeremiah 17:9

This is the source of the idolatry and creature confidence of the righteous, the sins which were the cause of Jews ruin. Those who should place any assurance in the good of self or man will become as a barren ground, withered in disillusionment and a heart as a wanderer seeking solace. Our deviant nature innately can call evil good and good evil even as it goes about its sanctification, and cries peace and blessing upon leaders who do not represent God. Who with the greatest discernment did not error? Paul rejected Barbabas' nephew Mark, only later to recant when he was found true (Col. 4:10). It is the conscience, which can be quieted by the severity of devout piety or the austerity of intentional sin that is the architect of self-delusion. Even less can we speak of the hearts of others, and depend on them as undisputable righteous guides, for misplaced confidence can ruin our vulnerability with others.

Why do you ask me about what is good?" Jesus replied. "There is only one who is good... Matthew 19:17a

Christ said unto his beloved Peter who was given the keys to the Kingdom once, "Get thee behind me, Satan" and then again "Ye shall deny me thrice" knowing Peter's heart despite his gregarious and ambitious intent. By all measure, Peter was not questioned by his fellow disciples. The same as Judas Iscariot, the subtle deceiver abiding amidst the greatest troop of men recorded in the annals of time, was fully corrupt in purpose and spirit. His brothers trusted him inasmuch to hold the coin and conduct the affairs of business representing them, never to question his integrity.

This is what the LORD says: "Cursed is the one who trusts in man, who draws strength from mere flesh and whose heart turns away from the LORD. Jeremiah 17:5

Men may have much doctrinal knowledge, yet be mere beginners in the life of faith and experience. Contentions and quarrels about doctrines, methods and ideologies are sad evidences of carnality rampant among even the most esteemed. True conversion of heart makes a soul peaceable, not contentious. But it is to be lamented, that many who should walk as Christians trusting in God alone through Christ, can instead become living chameleons of their favored leader.

“For when one says, "I follow Paul," and another, "I follow Apollos," are you not mere human beings?” 1 Corinthians 3:4

God, and the arm of flesh, are opposed to each other; as are also rejoicing in Christ Jesus, and having confidence in the flesh (2 Chronicles 32:8). Under the greatest guise of outward religion and righteousness as pretense demands, when we place our trust in such things and confidence in the creature, carries the heart off from God; every such act is a departing from the living God. The apotheosis of any person, leader, teacher or assemblage can lead to grievous disappointment. These thoughts lead to one conclusion:

Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only. Luke 4:8

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7771 users online. 0 members and 7771 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,272 at 07:19 AM on 03-28-2024.

Discerning the Truth Forum Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 298   Posts: 985   Members: 221   Active Members: 0
Welcome to our newest member, Markus Wagner.
Working...
X