X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evidence of Being Born Again

Word of the Cross Bible Study
    October 26th, 2011

Read Matthew 7:21-23: "Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? And in thy name have cast out devils? And in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity."

Read Luke 6:46-49: “Why do you call me ‘Lord, Lord,’ and not do what I tell you? I will show you what he is like who comes to me and hears my words and puts them into practice. He is like a man building a house, who dug deep and laid the foundation on the rock. And when a flood arose, the stream broke against that house and could not shake it, because it had been well built. But the one who hears and does not do them is like a man who built a house on the ground without a foundation. When the stream broke against it, immediately it fell, and the ruin of that house was great.”

Read I John 2:3-6 " We know that we have come to know him if we obey his commands. The man who says, “I know him,” but does not do what he commands is a liar, and the truth is not in him. But if anyone obeys his word, God’s love is truly made complete in him. This is how we know we are in him: Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did."

To be a Christian, you must repent of your sins and believe on the Lord Jesus.

Read Romans 10:8-9: "But what does it say? “The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart” (Deuteronomy 30:14); because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved."

Read Acts 16:30-31: "Then he brought them out and said, “Sirs, what must I do to be saved?” And they said, “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved, you and your household.”

Read Mark 16:16: "Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned."

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

We are not saved by our works, but when we are saved, our life will certainly reflect that decision by our good works. ("Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone" James 2:17.) Do you have total 100% assurance that you possess eternal life, and if someone asked you to prove it to them from a Bible, could you do it?

DO YOU SHOW EVIDENCES OF SPIRITUAL LIFE?

Following are ten evidences the true believer in Jesus Christ possesses, all from the epistle of First John. These are what Jonathan Edwards called "holy affections." Please read these pages, and ask yourself how many of these are manifested in your life. "But, beloved, we are persuaded better things of you ... and things that accompany salvation..." Hebrews 6:9

I. SUBMISSIVE RESPECT

"If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us" (1 John 1:8) Do you respect God? Is your opinion just as important or even more relevant than His? Are God's pronouncements authoritative in your life? Is Jesus Christ your Lord?

II. SCRIPTURE OBEDIENCE

"But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him" (1 John 2:5) Do you desire to know God's mind? Do you read the Bible daily? Do you read the Scriptures seeking to obey what you find? Are you in rebellion against God's Word or in submission to it? Do you love the Words of God?

III. SOCIETAL REJECTION

"Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him" (1 John 2:15) Do you love the world, your money, and your possessions? Do they mean more to you than Jesus Christ and His approval? Would you be willing to give up all for Christ?

IV. STEADFAST FAITHFULNESS

"They went out from us, but they were not of us: for if they had been of us, they would no doubt have continued with us: but they went out, that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us" (1 John 2:19) Are you faithful in regular fellowship with God's people in a local gathering? Are you able to be sparse in fellowship for weeks at a time without feeling a seperation from the saints? Do hunger for fellowship with those in Christ predominately?

V. SECOND COMING ANTICIPATION

"When he shall appear, we shall be like him: for we shall see him as he is. And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure" (1 John 3:2-3) Are you living in the daily awareness that Jesus Christ will return for His own? Are you eagerly looking forward to His coming for you? Does your daily life reflect the fact that He may come today? Are you ready to meet Him at any time?

VI. SIN SENSITIVITY

"Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God" (1 John 3:9) Does your sin bother you? Do you wish you sinned less than you do? Are you sinning less now than when you first made a profession of faith in Christ? Do you enjoy your sin, or does it affect your conscience?

VII. SIBLING LOVE

"We know that we have passed from death unto life, because we love the brethren. He that loveth not his brother abideth in death" (1 John 3:14) Do you love other believers in Jesus Christ? Do you enjoy being in their company, or would you rather be with the people of the world? Are Christians your dearest friends? Do you love those outside the fellowship as lost souls?

VIII. SUPPLICATIONS ANSWERED

"And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight" (1 John 3:22) Do you pray? Can you point to specific answers that could have come from no one but God? Does specifically answered prayer keep you excited about your relationship with Him? Do you find yourself conversing regularly with God as a trusted friend?

IX. SHARP DISCERNMENT

"Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world" (1 John 4:1) Do you find it easy to spot the false from the true? Do you see all those who claim Christ as Lord as the same? Do you understand the sound doctrines of Christ? Do you believe Jesus Christ is God?

X. SPIRIT AWARENESS

"Hereby know we that we dwell in him, and he in us, because he hath given us of his Spirit" (1 John 4:13) Do you have a conscious awareness that the Holy Spirit of God lives in you? Does He teach you things from the Scriptures on a regular basis? Does the Holy Spirit convict you when you sin? Do you intimately know the hope of the calling that is deposited in you?

I was reading the 10 signs that we are from Christ and the questions after each verse have been very helpful to guide my prayer.

Praise the Lord for his continuing teaching on these matters and for using you as his servant!

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7837 users online. 0 members and 7837 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,272 at 07:19 AM on 03-28-2024.

Discerning the Truth Forum Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 298   Posts: 985   Members: 221   Active Members: 0
    Welcome to our newest member, Markus Wagner.
    Working...
    X